Have you ever thought about the potential problems that could be living inside the walls of your house? Termites are scary enough, but mold can be the silent killer if you do not take action soon enough. The most terrifying thing about mold is that you might not know it is growing in your walls until it is too late, so taking the proper precautionary measures is very important.
Knowing what causes mold is the first step to understanding how to prevent it from growing in your home. When something in your house starts leaking or spilling water, clean it up immediately and find out how to stop the leak. As long as you make sure to have the area dry within approximately 24 hours of the leak occurring, you greatly reduce and sometimes eliminate your risk of mold growing there. You should also check your air conditioning drip pans and make sure they are clean, as well as the drain lines. If the drain line is being blocked in any way, this can cause major problems.
A few more tips for preventing mold from growing are to clean your roof gutters regularly, keep humidity low inside the house (between 30 and 50 percent is ideal), and be aware of how the ground is sloping from the foundation of your home. If it slopes toward the house, water can collect around the foundation and cause mold problems in areas that are hard to reach.
Identifying whether your house already has mold can be a scary thing, but very important to know. One of the more telltale signs of mold in your home is that you will smell a musty odor in the room. It is very likely that the smell is being caused by mold. You may not be able to see it because it is likely in your walls, under the carpet, or behind wallpaper or tile. Sometimes, you may be able to tell that mold is growing on some of your items because they will look discolored or blotchy.
You should know that most basic home insurance policies do not cover mold damage. This is unfortunate, yet gives you all the more reason to be aware of mold problems and how to avoid them. If you do end up with mold in your home, be sure to call a professional to clean it up if the affected area is more than you can handle. There are some smaller molds that you may feel you can clean up yourself, but be sure to wear protective gear like gloves, and avoid inhaling mold or cleaning product fumes as much as possible. In order to avoid the risk of inhaling mold spores, you should consider wearing a respirator. They are relatively inexpensive and can help you to avoid health problems associated with mold inhalation.
Above all, be sure you have gotten a good home insurance quote and consider adding to it what home insurance doesn't cover. By knowing what your insurance does and does not cover, you can make an educated decision on what you should include in your policy as an add-on.