Whether it's the slimy black spots on your shower curtain, the fuzzy white patches on your basement floor, or the slick orange film that forms on your kitchen drain, household mold is more than unsightly. In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma.
Whether you're allergic to molds or not, mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. For people sensitive to mold, inhaling or touching mold spores can cause allergic reactions, including sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. People with serious mold allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath. In people with asthma who are allergic to mold, breathing in spores can also cause asthma attacks.
In addition to people with allergies and asthma, others who may be more sensitive to the effects of mold include:
*Infants and children
*People whose immune systems are compromised due to HIV infection, cancer, liver disease, or chemotherapy
*People with chronic lung disease
It's impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores in your home, but because mold spores can't grow without moisture, reducing moisture in your home is the best way to prevent or eliminate mold growth. If there is already mold growing in your home, it's important to clean up the mold and fix the problem causing dampness. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the problem, the mold will most likely return.
Following is some advice for reducing moisture throughout the home with specific tips for the areas most prone to dampness and mold growth:
Around the house:
* Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners, especially in hot, humid climates, to reduce moisture in the air.
* Keep indoor humidity below 60% if possible. You can measure relative humidity with a hygrometer, an inexpensive instrument available at many hardware stores.
* Keep air conditioning drip pans clean. Make sure drain lines are free of obstructions and flow properly.
* Keep the house warm in cool weather. As the temperature goes down, the air is less able to hold moisture and it condenses on cold surfaces, which can encourage mold growth.
* Add insulation to cold surfaces, such as exterior walls, floors, and windows to reduce condensation.
* Dry wet areas within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth.
* Fix leaks and seepage. The ground should slope away from your house. If water is entering the house from the outside, your options range from simple landscaping to extensive excavation and waterproofing.
* Have a heating and cooling contractor check your heating and cooling system to make sure it's sized and operating properly to remove humidity. If your system is too big or the airflow is incorrect, your air conditioner will not remove humidity like it should. Also, ask the contractor to check your duct system for air leaks, and proper size and air flow to each room.
* Open doors between rooms to increase circulation, which carries heat to cold surfaces. Increase air circulation by using fans and by moving furniture from wall corners.
In the kitchen:
* Use exhaust fans to move moisture outside (not into the attic) whenever you are cooking, washing dishes, or cleaning.
* Turn off certain appliances if you notice moisture on windows and other surfaces.
* Check for leaks around the kitchen sink, refrigerator ice makers, and other sources of water. Repair if necessary.
* Empty and clean refrigerator drip pans if necessary.
Reducing the amount of mold in your home is important for the health of your family. Don't let summer's heat and humidity allow mold to become a threat in your home. Follow the steps above, provided by http://www.webmd.com/allergies to help your family have a safe and healthy summer!
Visit Sassy Scrubs for your Medical Scrubs and Scrubs.