Mold is something that many people have to deal with in their homes, even homes that are properly maintained and cleaned regularly. Many varieties of this fungus are quite safe but there are some types that can be dangerous for humans. Black mold is amongst the most dangerous types. It is part of the strachybotrys mold family and can have a number of adverse effects on humans.
It is very essential to detect this type of mold as soon as possible, as it can have far-reaching health effects that may be irreversible. Any house which has black mold should be evacuated until a complete removal process is undertaken.
Unfortunately, it is not that easy to detect mold because it often grows in places which are not visible or easy to reach. Mold grows mostly in places that are damp and humid and do not get much sunlight. Also, if there is no fresh air in a particular place, it gets prone to infestation. In a lot of cases, mold grows in areas like basements, closets and other dark places. Since these places are not visible to the eye all the time, it can be hard to detect any growth.
However, there are many tips that can help you detect black mold before it gets out of control. This type of mold has a very strong smell and if you pay attention to it, you can detect it easily. This smell is very musty and clings to places with infestations. If you suspect growth of this fungus in the house, check for any strange smells around the house, and you will be able to find the source.
One of the most common symptoms of black mold is that it leaves yellow and green stains. If you see a wall with yellow and green stains, and the paint peeling off, it is most likely to be mold. Also, if you see the paint becoming discolored or cracking off the walls, it could signal a mold infestation. These are the first few signs of mold, and keeping an eye open for these signs can surely save a lot of trouble.
If you suspect black mold growth in an area but are not sure, one of the things you can do is to shine a black light on that place. If that area looks yellow or green under the light, you can be sure that it is infected.