For those who have found black mold somewhere in their home, the logical thing to do is to get rid of it. The ability to remove mold properly (from a DIY standpoint) is possible as long as a few basics of this dangerous fungus are understood and followed. Since the removal process will involve chemicals and because certain types of mold can pose a severe health risk, safety precautions and equipment are necessary. Black mold removal can be a bit tricky, but if you practice safety, use the proper chemicals, and follow-up with good prevention, you should be able to live free of mold in your home.
Black mold is a fungus that grows in warm and humid areas of buildings. Typically, these areas are bathrooms, basements, closets, and laundry rooms. Because the fungus can pose serious health risks ranging in severity from headaches to death, safety is a primary concern. First and foremost to safely practice black mold removal you must have a mask to filter out the mold spores so you don't inhale them. Next, since chemicals will be used to clean and rid you of the mold, items like goggles, gloves, and proper clothing must be used while engaging in mold removal. When mixing chemicals and water be sure to add the chemical to cold water, if there is a splash you want water to be splashed up, not the chemical. Cold water is recommended since many chemicals can become aggressive at increased temperatures.
To get started, mix two cups of chlorine bleach into one gallon of cold water. Make sure you are using containers like plastic or hard rubber to prevent a reaction with the bleach. A spray bottle can be filled with this solution to be used later. Using a stiff brush dipped in the mixture, scrub the mold-contaminated area and continue until the mold is completely gone. Dry the area with a hand towel or rag and inspect visually to make sure the mold is no longer present. To ensure that the entire area has been treated with the bleach mixture, lightly spray the mixture from the spray bottle (set to mist) over the entire area and then wipe dry with a clean cloth or rag. For hard to reach areas, you might have to be creative with the type of brush you use. In some cases, it might be better to remove the affected material completely and replace it. It might even be necessary to call a professional for areas that you simply cannot access, like inside of air vents and other ductwork.
Once you have completed your DIY black mold removal, you should look to preventing it from occurring again. This can be done by placing a dehumidifier in the area affected by the mold. If the humidity is kept low, it will inhibit the mold from growing again. It may also be prudent to repaint the area with primers and paints that inhibit mold growth. Visual inspection on a regular basis will help you keep the situation from getting out of control in the future.